recipes & lifehacks
Photo: Büyükada Island, © Kenny
Photo: Büyükada Island, © Sahika Civelek
A ferry ride along the Bosphorus, cozy quiet streets with flowering gardens and green hills; no machine hum, only bicycle bells and knocking of the hooves that lulling a little. So if you are tired of the bustle of a loud city, you want to relax and discover something new, be sure to visit this calming and carefree island.
Photo: Büyükada Island, © Sater
How to do?
2. With any of the options selected, go to the pier, since you can get to the island only by steam, well, or by swimming, of course :)
3. Get off the ferry, do not hurry to go deep into the island, visit the local supermarket, it is right at the pier and buy some food for a picnic.
4. Actually, already at the entrance to the supermarket you will see bicycle and of course, the famous horse carts rental.
5. Order one of the possible tours and take a ride along the old cozy streets, visit the monastery of Saint George, on the way be sure to tie a ribbon in a place where every wish comes true.
6. After the tour on a phaeton, set up a picnic on a hill with a panoramic view of the entire Büyükada island and after get ready for the return journey.
Photo: Büyükada Island, view from the hill, © StenB
7. Oddviser recommends you not to postpone the ride back and not to rely on the last ferry, since there may be not enough space for everyone.
8. But if suddenly you're late - here on the island you can find a very cozy little hotel.
Where to do?
The largest island in the Sea of Marmara where a beautiful church, a fairground, a Luna Park and many other places from the list of must-see are located.11
When to do?
Bicycle rent costs much less, about 5 liras per hour.