Dive three times into the water with the words "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" - you are healed from all ills.
The tradition of dipping into an ice-hole appeared in 988 after the baptism of Kievan Rus, and now, after centuries, people from year to year repeat this ritual and believe that it will heal them from all ailments. The Orthodox recruit holy water from the hay, wash their faces with it, and the most brave dive into the ice water.
But be aware that there is a number of contraindications. Diving into an ice-hole is forbidden for people who have sick cardiovascular system, with diseases of the nervous or endocrine system, as well as the organs of vision and respiration.
How to do?
1. Go to a specially equipped place where a hole has been cut down beforehand, they are located not far from the coast of the river.
2. Here you will see a crowd of people, priests and an ambulance car, in case someone gets sick.
3. It is necessary to come with a good mood and gaining strength of will. Get ready and dive. It is necessary to plunge three times, after each one you should cross and say "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit".
4. Do not stay in the water for more than a minute to not overcool, get out of there and rush to have a cup of tea.
5. You are healed and blessed!
When to do?
On January 18 at the Baptismal Eucharist, the eve of Epiphany, or Baptism.
Photo: Diving in the ice hole at night
Tips and hints
Grab a towel and a bathrobe, a set of dry clothes, a swimsuit, slippers, so as not to hurt your legs, or to not slip on ice, better woolen socks, you can swim in them, a rubber cap if you need.
More things to do in Kiev
Try Chicken Kiev
The dish appeared in the restaurant "Kiev" in the 19th century and became popular due to its taste and the fact that it is insanely convenient to eat. 255
See the joust
Go back in time and see how in the old days brave knights fought for their honor, dignity and women's hearts. 1503Kievan Rus Park
Taste hot dumplings
Dumplings with meat, with potatoes, with cherries, with poppy seeds, with cottage cheese, with cabbage, with mushrooms, with everything - try them all! 256
Get into ukrainian mud hut
200 years ago, village dwelling on the territory of Ukraine was built from wood, clay and straw, which allowed to keep the house warm. 403Park Pirogovo
Try Ukrainian borscht
About this dish knows everyone who visits Ukraine. The famous soup has become a symbol of this country, and you should definitely try it. 5010
Find a hedgehog
Attention! Dangerous! The hedgehog season in Kiev just began. Small prickly creatures go out hunting and walk around the city. Do not become their prey.FREE11
Know more things to do?
Share your ideas of what to do in Kiev with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!