Dive three times into the water with the words "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" - you are healed from all ills.
The tradition of dipping into an ice-hole appeared in 988 after the baptism of Kievan Rus, and now, after centuries, people from year to year repeat this ritual and believe that it will heal them from all ailments. The Orthodox recruit holy water from the hay, wash their faces with it, and the most brave dive into the ice water.
But be aware that there is a number of contraindications. Diving into an ice-hole is forbidden for people who have sick cardiovascular system, with diseases of the nervous or endocrine system, as well as the organs of vision and respiration.
How to do?
1. Go to a specially equipped place where a hole has been cut down beforehand, they are located not far from the coast of the river.
2. Here you will see a crowd of people, priests and an ambulance car, in case someone gets sick.
3. It is necessary to come with a good mood and gaining strength of will. Get ready and dive. It is necessary to plunge three times, after each one you should cross and say "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit".
4. Do not stay in the water for more than a minute to not overcool, get out of there and rush to have a cup of tea.
5. You are healed and blessed!
When to do?
On January 18 at the Baptismal Eucharist, the eve of Epiphany, or Baptism.
Photo: Diving in the ice hole at night
Tips and hints
Grab a towel and a bathrobe, a set of dry clothes, a swimsuit, slippers, so as not to hurt your legs, or to not slip on ice, better woolen socks, you can swim in them, a rubber cap if you need.
More things to do in Kiev
Watch the dancing fountains
In summer a colorful music show is held in Kiev. Go straight to Maidan Nezalezhnosti to see it with your own eyes.FREE4
Taste hot dumplings
Dumplings with meat, with potatoes, with cherries, with poppy seeds, with cottage cheese, with cabbage, with mushrooms, with everything - try them all! 256
Find a hedgehog
Attention! Dangerous! The hedgehog season in Kiev just began. Small prickly creatures go out hunting and walk around the city. Do not become their prey.FREE11
All Ukrainians love this drink, it can save you on hot days. It is kept in barrels and you can find it everywhere in the city in summer. 37
Try «Kiev Perepichka »
Try the very first Ukrainian fast food and probably the cheapest one, which is prepared following the constant recipe for 35 years. 125Kiev perepichka
Ride on the funicular
Just three minutes trip by cable car - and you have memories of this unique and exciting form of transport for the rest of your life. 310Funicular
Know more things to do?
Share your ideas of what to do in Kiev with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!