An impregnable ancient city among the mountains will give you a sea of emotions and a beautiful views.
In the ancient city, abandoned over a thousand years ago, you will see an amphitheater that could hold about 5 thousand spectators. Up to now, even the lower floors of the amphitheater, where wild animals were kept before the battle, have been preserved. By the way, an incredible view of Antalya opens from here (a huge plus for those who have not regretted their feet and overcame the difficult path uphill).
Photo: Roman amphitheater
You can also examine the ruins of six temples, four of them are located near the Odeon (a two-story building where the rulers sat). There are also temples dedicated to Zeus and Artemis. All these ancient buildings mostly look like ruins, but still remind of the greatness of a city with a population of more than 150 thousands people, who didn't surrender under the onslaught of conquerors.
Photo: Part of the temple
How to do?
1. The ancient city is located 30 kilometers from the center of Antalya.
2. There are several ways to get Termessos:
• by car: in the north-west direction along the D350 highway to Isparta near Korkuteli turn left and drive to the entrance of Gulluk National Park;
• on "dolmushka" (local minibus);
• by taxi;
3. Two paths of different complexity lead from the parking lot to the city, but one way or another you will have to overcome the height difference of 400 meters.
4. On the way enjoy the local flora and fauna (you can see wild deer and goats here).
5. When you get the goal, start examining the ruins of the amphitheater, the antique houses and temples and admire the unforgettable panoramic view.
Where to do?
The Ancient City Termessos
The impregnable city, destroyed by the forces of nature, which has been in oblivion for hundreds of years, attracts thousands of travelers from all over the world.11
Location: On a plateau 30 km north-west of Antalya, at an altitude of 1,050 meters above sea level.
Tips and hints
• stock up on drinking water - there will be no cafes or shops along the way.
• wear only comfortable shoes and long pants to climb freely uphill and not be hurt by thorns.
More things to do in Antalya
Try stuffed mussels
Stuffed mussels, a little bit spicy and flavored with a big amount of lemon juice are an integral part of Turkish cuisine. 67
Try gulbeseker - jam of rose petals
Halva, mukhallebi, pellet, elmasia, fruit juices, sherbet and of course gulbeseker - jam from rose petals - you should try all these sweets in Turkey. 1.508
Sure, everyone tried a sweet tasty ice cream, but donurdma is not just ice cream. It's a special dessert of Turkish cuisine.9
Fry marshmallows in Chimera fires
The chimera's lights are streams of flame escaping from the ground, which you can not only see, but also use to fry your favorite sweets on them :)10
Know more things to do?
Share your ideas of what to do in Antalya with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!