A magnificent place with a modern museum side by side with the ancient San Jean fort.
The museum's exhibitions are accessible, interesting and interactive. In addition, the are museum shops with interesting knick-knacks and souvenirs and numerous cafes where you can relax. And on the roof you can sunbathe on wooden sun loungers.
How to do?
1. Go to Esplanade Street 4, where the famous museum is located.
2. You can buy tickets right in the museum at the ticket office.
3. First visit the historical part of the museum - San Jean fort, then go over the seemingly fragile bridge to the modern block of the museum.
4. The museum has four collections, exhibitions are interactive, interesting and understandable - you do not need to book an excursion.
5. Then go to the roof by the elevator and have sunbath on the deckchairs or drink coffee in one of the cafe or restaurant.
6. At the exit, you can visit the souvenir shop located on the first floor.
Where to do?
Old fort San Jean, promenade Louis BrockerOpen hours:
Opened from 11:00 am to 20:00 pm.Phone:
+33 4 84 35 13 13Official website: http://www.mucem.org/
You can walk around the fort and get on the roof for free. Visiting the exhibition will cost €35-€40.
More things to do in Marseille
An ancient French legend says that this fish soup goddess Aphrodite prepared to her lover in order to give him strength and energy for the whole day.2
Taste the pastis
The most popular alcohol drink in France, which the locals and travelers like to drink as an aperitif in any time of the day. 24
Buy Marseille soap
Traditional French handmade soap was first manufactured in Marseille. It was made only of natural products without the addition of animal fats. 32
Climb to the St. Mary's Lighthouse
A white 21-meter high limestone served as a landmark for seafarers and fishermen looking for a road to their native harbor since 1855.FREE2
Know more things to do?
Share your ideas of what to do in Marseille with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!