The biggest collection of lions are kept in Lviv. No wonder, it is the city of the gorgeous animal. Set off for an exciting search of the city symbol.
No wonder that Lviv is the city of lions. Right here you'll find the biggest number of lion figures - 4,5 thousand.
Far back in XIV century lion figure appeared in city seals for the first time. From that moment on a number of lions started increasing - they came into sight on Lviv streets and facades of buildings.
And now no matter where you are in Lviv, lions are watching you from everywhere.
How to do?
1. Start you search from the most lion street in the city - Svobody Avenue. Here you'll find 245 lions. 99 lions decorate building №11 - the most leonine construction.
2. Rynok Square is one more place of a big number of lions. The most interesting ones - lion sculpture with people faces in its jaw (building №36) and winged lion on Venetian Kamenica building(building №24).
Photo: Winged lion, © Jason Risley
3. Take a look at kinglike lions that guard Lviv Town Hall.
Photo: Lviv Town Hall lion
4. In Lviv you can even find smiling lions. Go to Olesko Castle
and smile them back.
Photo: Smiling lion, © Alisa Volkova
5. In Italian yard you'll find lion stone sculpture watching people take food.
6. Two-bodied lion is set at the corner of Halytska and Staroyevreiska streets.
Photo: Two-bodied lion
7. Having walked around the city looking for lions, go back to Rynok Square and take a seat on the bench that is held by two lions.
Photo: Lion bench
More things to do in Lviv
Benzinovka is a signature Lviv drink with a strange name, that sometimes misleads inexperienced travelers. 146Kryivka
Try Lviv beer
Learn the secret of the birth of this drink, inhale the smell of hops and malt, touch the history of creation and feel the magic taste of beer. 1510Brewery Museum
Climb the High Castle
High Castle is a quiet, shady, spacious park within walking distance of the city center, on a high mountain, with panoramic view of the city.FREE11Lviv High Castle
Drink Lviv coffee
It is said that coffee is an integral part of Lviv, and it is not surprising, because it is born directly under the feet of local residents. 258
Take a horse carriage ride
To get soaked with the city of medieval period, take a horse carriage ride around historical places of amazing Lviv. 10004
Find the yard of lost toys
Find the courtyard in Lviv, where thousands of toys are lonely waiting for their master. Take a picture or shelter a little plush animal or a doll :)FREE5Yard of Lost Toys
Know more things to do?
Share your ideas of what to do in Lviv with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!