recipes & lifehacks
The volcano ascending does not take much time, since their height varies from 100 to 630 meters. It will take about 3 hours to observe the entire territory on foot and by car - only an hour. It`s possible even to drive the car to the observation deck on the volcano. Apparently, in case the eruption starts. While it`s quiet, the Santiago crater continues to smoke, as if it showed to travelers where to look for it.
Photo: Lake of lava
How to do?
2. You will need to pay for the ticket at the entrance. Go another 5 kilometers to the volcano in the center of the park. Also, you can get there by car. If you go by taxi, ask the driver to get you straight to the volcano's crater.
3. Near the crater you will see a cross, set up in the 16th century by the Spanish conquistadors, who tried in this way to drive out the evil spirit that supposedly fed the volcano. As you can see, the "trick" failed, and the lava does not hurry to harden. From time to time, the eruptions occur here with the release of lava and ash. On such days the park is closed.
Photo: Cross at the edge of the volcano crater
4. Take a walk through the park. Volcanic ash has made the soil fertile, so here you will see luxuriant vegetation and its inhabitants: raccoons, opossums, coyotes, deer, monkeys, iguanas and skunks. It is not recommended to meet with the latter.
5. If you are not afraid of bats, get into the underground frozen lava tunnel.
6. On the way back, stop at the Masaya market and buy a hand-tied hammock - the best hammocks are sold here :-)
Where to do?
52 square kilometers of rich flora and exotic animals, breathtaking views from the volcano slopes with liquid lava in the crater of one of them.10
When to do?
Tips and hints
The park is open at night too. A suitable option for night people. Nicaraguans realized that the red-orange lava looks more interesting at night, so the "night" ticket costs 200 more.