recipes & lifehacks
The mine became the place of the world first underground hot air ballooning and bungee jump (now it's strictly forbidden!) - made into 36-meter deep Stanisіawa Staszica chamber.
Photo: There are several salt lakes in the mine
Photo: Chandelier from salt crystals © Darek | Flickr
How to do?
Photo: You have to pass 800 steps
2. In Wieliczka there is the only one in Europe underground catholic church at a depth of 101 meters made of salt - wedding services and live music concerts take place here. Chandeliers, bas-relieves on the walls and Saint John Paul II statue - everything made of salt (you can lick wall or any object just to make sure).
Photo: "The Last Supper", Leonardo Da Vinci. Made of salt, © magro_kr | Flickr
3. After the excursion, come into the monastery canteen and buy a desk lamp made of salt in a souvenir stand. Or come into a salt cave to take salty air.
Where to do?
700-year-old mine where salt is extracted consists of nine levels. It is almost 327 meters deep, and more than 200 kilometers long.6
Open hours: from April till October 7:30am-7:30pm, from November till March 8am-5pm
Phone: +48 12 278 73 02
Official website: https://www.wieliczka.ru/
When to do?
Days off: January, 1, the Easter (on Great Saturday it is open till 3:30pm), November, 1, December, 24 and 25.
December, 31 - half-time working day till 4pm.
• for adults - Zl55 per person (excursion in Polish) and Zl84 per person (excursion in a foreign language)
• for pupils and students under 26 - Zl39 per person (in Polish) and Zl64 per person (in a foreign language)
• for family (2 adults + 2 children) - Zl149 per person (in Polish) and Zl232 per person (in a foreign language).
At the beginning of May, in June and August the price is Zl4-6 higher.
For children under 4 the entrance is free.
Shooting is Zl10.
Tips and hints
• put on comfortable footwear - 800 steps are ahead
• smoking is not allowed in the mine
• at the beginning of the way you'll find an ATM and a currency exchange booth (open from 9am till 5pm).