recipes & lifehacks
You can ride a bike throughout the whole city - all the traffic ways are equipped with bicycle tracks.
Photo: Bike paths are equipped with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings, © Dylan Passmore
Bicycle traffic jam is a common thing in Amsterdam - half the population of the city takes a bicycle to get to work, business meetings, parties and go shopping despite the weather and neglecting the status.
Photo: A line near traffic light, © Franklin Heijnen
How to do?
2. To rent a bike you need a passport and valid credit card, or 50€ as caution money per one bicycle. Discuss the details while renting a bike: how to take back a rent bike, insurance points, what traffic rules must be strictly abided and what ways to take going around the city.
3. Keep in mind the fact that Amsterdammers ride bicycles whole their life. Hurrying on business, they ride at a high speed and skillfully run red lights. Don't try to act like locals - enjoy slow ride as a guest of the city.
When to do?
Saturday, Sunday - from 9.00 till 19.00
Tips and hints
• Don't buy a bike secondhand in streets - probably it is stolen.
• Abide traffic rules - bicycle riders can be fined as well.
• Turn on the light and put on a high-visibility vest in the evening.