Adventure Rating in Nuwara EliyaTOP-6 adventure's step-by-step
recipes & lifehacks
• Adam's Peak is a Portuguese name. Today it is used by Christians and Moslems. Buddhists call the mountain Sri Pada that means "sacred footprint", Hindus - Shrivan Adipatam ("Shiva's cosmic dance").
• On the top there is Buddhist temple where you can find granite rock with a foot-shaped cavity - in different religions it is considered to be footprint of different Gods - Buddha's, Shiva's, Adam's. Legend says rainwater that fills the foot after precipitation turns into healing water.
• Climbing Adam's Peak is a must for every citizen of Sri lanka.
Фото: Храм на Пике Адама, © Matteo Biccheri
Photo: Buddha's footprint
Tips for travellers
• By day it's quite hot to climb the mountain as the temperature reaches +30°, by night it goes down to +10°, so you need to take warm clothes. Best period to visit Adam's Peak is from December till May. Other months of the year are rainy, and path is rather dangerous.
• 5200 steps lead to the top, touristic path stretches for 8,5 kilometers, the way takes 3 hours.
• To feel comfortable during the trip there are some cafes along the way where you can make stop and have some rest.
• You don't need a flashlight - the path is lit by fluorescent lamps.
• On the island there is a mountain with almost similar name - Little Adam's Peak, near Ella village. It was called so because of formal resemblance with its "big brother", although its height is only 1141 meters.
Photo: Adam's Peak temple, © Matteo Biccheri
Photo: Adam's Peak steps
How to get
At the bottom of the mountain there is Dalhousie village, it is 136 kilometers and a 4-hour drive from the capital of Sri Lanka. There are some hotels for those who don't want to go up to Adam's Peak by night. Short path starts from the village. You can get here by bus or tuk tuk from Hatton; buses and trains run to Hatton from Colombo, Kandy and Nuwara Eliya.
Things to do here 3
Piligrims of three different religions climb up Adam's Peak - they believe the Eden is nowhere else but here. Walk up to here too and see what the Eden is like!FREE13
Buddhists believe that their god visited the Adam's Peak and left his foot print here, 1 meter long.FREE4
Early in the morning Adam's Peak is completely covered with fog. Climb the sacrificed hill to see it live.FREE0
Share your ideas of what to do in Nuwara Eliya with other travellers — together we'll make our travellings more interesting!